What is edge computing?
Edge computing is designed to put applications and data closer to devices — and their users. While cloud computing drove the creation of mega data centres, edge computing brings distributed IT with an exponential number of micro data centres.
Find everything you need to know about the edge and its role in the digital transformation.
Solutions for any edge environment
Get certainty through visibility
Simple edge management
Design and deploy seamlessly
Physical security solutions
Work with an edge partner
Access trusted research
Why edge computing?
Meet user expectations by complementing these cloud-based resources — from compute power to storage and applications — in the digital transformation to improve the customer experience, streamline operations, and create new business opportunities.
That’s where edge computing comes in. Edge data centres help achieve higher bandwidth, lower latency, regulatory compliance around location, and data privacy.
Where is edge computing used? Here are just a few applications ...
What do we mean by Resiliency at the Edge?
Three enablers of edge resiliency
Edge data centres are often dispersed “lights out” facilities, with little or no IT staff. Traditional remote management solutions can be costly and difficult to scale. Innovative cloud-based platforms provide:
- Simplified remote monitoring and management
- Real-time visibility of status anytime, anywhere, on any device
- Predictive analytics to ensure proactive service visits happen only when they are required
To prevent unauthorized access to IT equipment in edge data centres, proper physical security is critical, requiring three components:
- Physical space monitoring with temperature and humidity sensors
- Access control
- Audio and video supervision with recording
As companies plan a large number of edge data centre deployments, it’s important to ensure that they are standardized, repeatable, and rapid. This requires:
- Pre-configured, integrated equipment — combining server, storage, networking, and software delivered in a single enclosure
- Reference designs that specify the supporting racks, UPSs, PDUs, and cooling systems