Technical FAQs

Ask a Question

AWG / Metric Conversion

The attached document contains a conversion table for AWG to metric. The US uses a system called AWG for cable sizing while EMEA and LAM used the metric system in mm ². The metric system indicates the cross sectional area of the cable while AWG, American Wire Gauge indicates the number of wires of this size can fit into a a hole of 1 inch. Note: In the Metric System, the larger the number the larger the cable and in the American System (AWG) the larger the number the smaller the cable In cases where we have to use a different cable, we will not have an exact conversion so in such cases we should always pick the next larger available equivalent.

Was this helpful?
What can we do to improve the information ?